An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

365 Days of Giving

Happy New Year!  Well 2011, a great year, has come to an end and I am looking forward to the possibilities for 2012.  A year ago today I made a goal to give a gift everyday for year and I am happy to report that I accomplished that goal yesterday!

In the beginning I don’t think I really knew what I was getting myself into or where my gift giving journey would take me.  It has been fun, challenging, heart-warming and life changing.  I have met many great people, learned about wonderful organizations and causes and have made many new friends.
This journey that started as a challenge has turned into a new way of life for me; something I can’t live without.  Over the past couple of months people have been asking me if I am going to continue with my daily gift giving and without hesitation my answer has been, “YES!” 

I know this will sound strange, but I think I would be sad not to give a gift every day.  It is something I look forward to and enjoy the smiles it brings to people faces.  It is something truly being done with no expectation of receiving anything in return.  I also strongly feel this journey I have been on and will continue in 2012 is part of God’s plan for me. What I am suppose to be doing.  And until I feel otherwise, I will continue to make the commitment to give.
Are you wondering what my final gift of the year was?  It was a New Years Eve Party at my home for a group of close friends.  There was one catch if they wanted to attend, they couldn’t bring any food.  Usually when we have parties we all pitch in and everyone brings food but not this party.  I think I outdid myself and had tons left over.  With the help of my husband, I spent half the day in the kitchen preparing all types of yummy appetizers.  We are not partiers so the night included watching a football game, Family Feud, Dance Central, Rock Band and the Newlywed game.  We all made it to midnight and some of us even made it until about 1:30.  We had fun laughing, joking with each other and more importantly enjoying each other’s company.  I love to entertain so this was a fun gift to give.

I am not big into New Year’s resolutions, but I do set many goals for myself for the year.  If you do the same and I hope one of your goals for the year is to increase your giving!
Thank you for letting me be a part of your life for this past year. I hope you continue to follow me on my gift giving journey.  Have a blessed 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment