An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 364-Gifts Galore!

Yesterday may have been one of my busiest days giving days of the year.  I had several gifts that I had meant to give earlier but for one reason or another I just didn’t.  Also, I have been off work for over a week and I have been cleaning out every drawer, cabinet, closet and room of my home and some gifts from decluttering.

Several of my gifts came because of a tradition that was started when I was little and continues to this day.  When I was growing up mom, my sister and I would spend a day baking cookies and candies and then deliver the treats to friends and family.  Sometime around Christmas, even though we all can’t be together to bake, I still spend a day or two in the kitchen making tons of goodies for neighbors and friends.  This year on Day 363 I took cookies to a neighbor and then yesterday on Day 364 I took cookies to several friends, the post office and a nonprofit I support.  Gift #1.
The non-profit that I took cookies too is Housing Opportunities.  They provide housing for the homeless, help families prevent foreclosure; provide home ownership education and affordable rental housing in Northwest Indiana.  On Day 187 I donated toilet paper and on Day 238 I volunteered in their food pantry for the United Way ofPorter County’s Day of Caring.   Yesterday besides cookies, I dropped off new hats and mittens and toilet paper and paper towels.  They always seem to be running low and in need of the last two items. Gift #2.

I love the public library but my books to tend to always be overdue.  I finally finished, Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow and needed to return it. It was only about 10 days overdue!  I enjoyed the book though there was too much play by play of his college football games and the book got a little boring for me.  I am intrigued of how the media has treated Tim Tebow over the past year.  We have a guy who has, from what I can tell, done nothing but good things in his college and NFL career yet the media makes him out to be some terrible person just because he boldly talks about his Christian faith. Call me crazy, but I am not for sure what’s wrong with a guy who does a lot of charity work, goes on mission’s trips to help with an orphanage in the Philippines and is a role model for the upcoming generation, regardless of his faith these are all positive things that children of today don’t see much of.  You would think positive is positive and let us encourage him to continue to do good deeds. Okay enough of my soapbox!  I got a little sidetracked; while I was at the library I donated used books and magazines.  Gift #3.
Finally I dropped off a car load of unwanted items at Goodwill.  As a professional organizer, now is a good time to make a commitment to simplify the material things in your life.  Go through your home and keep only those things you love and you use on a regular basis.  The other things are physical and mental clutter which causes stress.  This donation was Gift #4. 

I want to wish everyone a safe and blessed New Year’s Eve.  Have a fun New Year Eve but please don’t drink and drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment