An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 81-Chief Justice Shepard

I am a pretty social person and love to attend various speaker events that are in our community. On this date the Kiwanis were hosting Indiana Supreme Court Justice Randall Sheppard at our weekly meeting. We wanted a packed house so we were encouraged to invite a guest. Since I love the law I knew this was a rare opportunity to hear a Chief Justice speak in such an intimate environment.  On this day my gift was to a friend of my husband’s and an acquaintance to me. He is an attorney and I thought he might enjoy hearing the Chief Justice speak.  It is out of my comfort zone to ask people that I hardly know to attend an event with me, but I thought this would be a great gift. He was excited about the opportunity and graciously accepted my offer to come hear the Chief Justice Speak. My gift giving journey is teaching me to go outside my network, think of others and get out of my comfort zone. Have you given a gift lately that has challenged you to step outside your comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment