An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 75, 76, 122 and 125-Dinners and Desserts

I think I have mentioned in prior post I am not the best cook, nor am I the main cook in our household, my husband has that role and does it much better than I do.  I am combining a couple of days together because they all have to do with food and me cooking or baking…YIKES!
On Day 75 I prepared and took a meal over to one of my friends for her family. Her youngest son was having surgery and a group of women got together to make sure all her meals were covered for the week. I was a bit nervous about preparing the dinner.  Sure I have people to our home for dinner, but I don’t ever recall making something to take to another family. My mom use to do this all time when I was growing up. It seemed like she was cooking and taking meals to people on a weekly basis, but the difference is she is a great cook I am not.  I called my mom for advice, I needed something easy and that kids would like.  I ended up making homemade BBQ, Mac and cheese, a veggie tray and my favorite… cupcakes!  According to my friend the dinner was a hit and no one got sick, which the latter was my goal.
On Day 76 I took cupcakes to the three neighbor boys across the street.  I had baked way too many cupcakes on Day 75 and needed them out of the house. I love the boys across the street because they are growing boys and always welcome my food, or at least I think they do!
On Day 122 and 125 I actually cooked dinner for my husband.  I have been working on a big project at work and during the past two months my husband did all the cooking and kept me fed. If it wasn’t for him I may have starved in my office. He is so supportive of my job and the long hours I must work sometimes.  Since my project is over I have more time to cook and even though my husband is the better cook he enjoys the break when I cook for him!
The gift on Day 75 was really out of my comfort zone. It was something I wanted to avoid and not do. I was actually nervous about cooking the meal and wondering if they would like it and eat it. And then I realized, the gift wasn’t about the food it was about helping out a friend and I am sure if they hadn’t liked the food they still would have been grateful for the thought and that I tried to help instead of sitting on the sidelines letting someone else do the work. I challenge you today to look for an opportunity to give a gift that will stretch you out of your comfort zone. Doing things that make us uncomfortable is how we learn and how we get over our fears. Now that I have made one meal it is my hope I will have the opportunity to make more meals in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment