An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 93-Susan G. Komen-Race for the Cure

This time last year I was training for one of the most physically challenging events I have participated in my lifetime.  My mom and I not only trained but completed the Susan G. Komen 3-Day. We walked 60 miles in three days to show our support for breast cancer survivors, those that lost the battle and family and friends who have been affected by this disease.
If people actually thought about what they were signing up for they would never do it. Just think about, walk 60 miles in three days. That is equivalent to 2.3 marathons in three days.  My mom and I signed up without thinking because one of our dearest friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. When someone you love is diagnosed with this terrible disease there are many ways to react and we reacted by doing something bold, something that showed her we with her through this battle she was about to embark on over the next year.
My friend has a happy ending.  Through various treatments her cancer is gone and she can say she is cancer FREE!  She walked this year in the Susan G. Komen-Race for the Cure. My gift on this day was a monetary donation in support of her walking team.
This year I won’t be walking the 60 miles, but I will be praying and sending e-mails of encouragement to those that are.  May God give them sunshine, cool breezes and no blisters!




No comments:

Post a Comment