An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 67-Taking care of the pets

Growing up as a child I had all kinds of pets. My first pet was a kitten named Sugar Babies, and then I had a dog Daisy, a turtle Norman, a bird Kiwi and too many rabbits to name, but my favorite was Thumper or was it Oreo? 
The first four years of our marriage Mike and I didn’t have a pet and if I would have had my way we never would have owned a pet, but my husband had other plans.
Since he was a child he not only dreamed about being a police officer, but a K-9 handler. He loved dogs but when he graduated from the police academy in 2000 the Indiana State Police did not have a K-9 program.  Around 2006 a new Superintendent, a former K-9 handler, started a K-9 program and my husband was ecstatic. He had an opportunity to finally fulfill his dream. It would be a lot of hard work, time and dedication.  He applied for the position and in September 2006 he left for 17 weeks for K-9 training.  Prior to him going to training we had a deal. This was his dog, not mine and I wouldn’t be responsible for feeding, bathing or really anything that had to with the care of the dog. And to this day my husband kept this commitment he made to me.
Don’t get me wrong, I love this dog, Boss, and he is a part of our family. If I am outside he is right beside me. If Mike is gone I feed and let Boss out to go potty, but 90% of the time Boss is my husband’s responsibility.
On this day, actually for this entire week, my husband was going to be gone to training so I would be in charge of the pets. I fed Boss twice a day, let him out to go potty every couple of hours and played with him. Besides Boss my husband also has four Piranhas in one tank and then another tank that has a fish my niece bought that will not die. The fish are in the basement and I actually forgot to feed them for a couple of days. Yikes! My husband would have not been happy to come home to dead Piranhas. He has been growing these fish for months.
Anyways, I feel in life, especially for the people we live with and love there are sometimes things we don’t want to do but since we love the ones we share a home with we need to help out when an opportunity presents itself.
I am very proud of my husband and Boss. My husband has committed countless hours to caring and training Boss. Boss isn’t just one of the best K-9’s in the region, but in the state. To see one of Boss’s tricks click on the video below. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment