An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 63-Make-A-Wish Foundation

My gift started with a gift that I had received from a friend, a 30% off coupon for Old Navy. I was in need; okay more of a want, of new spring clothes. I am not what you would call a Fashionista, but more of a Frugalista!  I don’t need a designer label and to spend $100 on a pair of jeans when I can go to Old Navy, find something trendy and pay a reasonable price.
As I entered Old Navy I was greeted by a friendly lady sitting at a table obviously promoting an organization.  Prior to my gift giving mission I would usually avoid these tables and try not to make eye contact with anyone who might be selling or promoting something (I am sure you have probably done the same thing), but today was different. I actually walked over to the lady and asked what she was promoting. I was hoping this was my opportunity to give a gift and it was.  The young lady worked for Make-A-Wish Foundation and was collecting donations.  I shared with the young lady that my cousin had benefited from a Wish many years ago and I had a friend from college whose family was selected as a Make- A-Wish family.  I gave her a donation and wished her good luck!
About a month after making my donation my friend and her family went on their Wish to Walt Disney World. My friend is a fellow blogger and blogged about what an impact this experience had on their family. I sat at my computer crying as I read about their trip. What an amazing gift this organization has given a family and a little precious boy who has been through so much.   To hear firsthand about their personal Wish experience you can read her blog at http://braydenandmommy.blogspot.com/2011/03/our-make-wish.html
After reading my friend’s blog I am sure you will be touched like I was and more than happy to donate to this organization when given the opportunity. To learn more about Make-A-Wish Foundation and how to support this wonderful organization visit http://www.wish.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment