An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wal-Mart- An endless sea of opportunity for giving


If you have ever stopped and looked around at Wal-mart there is an endless sea of opportunity for random acts of kindness and to give to others.  As soon as you walk in the door there is an opportunity to be polite, smile, say thank you for your cart and wish the greeter a great day.  I have found most of the time people ignore the greeters and don’t treat them well. 
So imagine this…Wal-mart on a Saturday morning.  Checkout lines filled with people, the parking lot busy with cars and people coming and going just minding their own business.  I myself was on a mission to get out of the store as quickly as possible and continue on my day.

As I was exiting the store, I noticed an elderly lady getting out of a mini-van.  After exiting the van she was struggling to move.  She would start to move forward, but it was as if she couldn’t lift her legs.  Mind you this is going on as tens of people past this lady by.  I myself am just standing and staring.  It was as if I knew I needed to help, but I was having an internal battle to help or not to help.  I am a bit ashamed that I even had to think about it, but I have found that sometimes I’m embarrassed to ask people if they need assistance as talking to a total stranger is stepping out of my normal comfort zone.
After standing there for a couple of seconds and being disappointed in myself and others, I parked my cart and approached the lady.  I said, “Mam, do you need some help?” 

She sheepish looked up at me and said, “Yes I do. I just can’t seem to lift my feet. “
I held up my arm and she grabbed a hold.  She just needed a little support. I slowly walked beside her until we reached the breezeway.  She said this was a good place to stop and would wait for her daughter to assist the rest of the way. 

The random act of kindness took me about a minute. One minute out of my life to assist another human being.   As I was heading back to my car, someone laid on the horn.  It scared me a bit and I jumped a little.  Then I looked in the mini-van and a lady was giving me a big wave and mouthed…THANK YOU!
I waived back and kept walking to my car with a big smile on my face.  I make the commitment today to always stop to help those struggling to walk and lend an arm.  Will you do the same?

2 comments:

  1. Thumbs up. We all struggle with the little things that mean so much. Thanks for the reminder that today I need to be more aware of those around me and lend a hand when needed. Reading from the RAK Blog Fest. http://wordstock-writingisaneverendingstory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete