An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Mother's Advice

As I wrote in my previous post, when my mom was asked in the Between Me and You Journal, "If you felt the need to offer some advice to me, what would it be?"

Instead of advice, my mom wrote her favorite quotes and Bible verses and I wanted to share them with you.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

"If you want to increase the power of God in your life-see how many times a day you can give." - Joyce Meyer

" Lord- how do you want me to live this day? What is it you want me to do with this one day you have given me? What is the work you want me to accomplish today?"

"It is better to be kind than right."

"When God tugs at your heart, that's the moment to act."

Isaiah 41:10- So don't worry, because I am with you. Don't be afraid because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you; I will support you with my right hand that saves you.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it." -Joel A. Barker

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

"If it weren't for running, I'd go crazy." -Martin-lead guitarist for Jethro Tull

"Hills are speed work in disguise." - Frank Shorter- 1972 Olympic Marathon Champion

"Pray hard. Work hard. And leave the rest to God." - Florence Griffith Joyner "Flo Jo"

1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 Be joyful always; pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

"Instead of thinking about all the reasons that I couldn't do it, I started thinking about all the reasons that I could do it.  I encouraged myself and allowed the word of God to empower me." - Victoria Osteen

Psalm 4:3 The Lord will hear when I call to Him.

2 comments:

  1. Carla has some great scriptures and sayings....She has always been an inspiration to me!!!! So fun to get to share in her life as well as her girls!!!!Proud of all three of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete