An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Joy

Easter has always been one of my favorite holidays or maybe my memories of Easter how I remember it as a child is that which is my favorite.  As early as I can remember my sister and I looked forward to Easter baskets filled with goodies and surprises.  We also looked forward to the sunrise service at Tanglewood Baptist Church with a yummy breakfast to follow.  I grew up attending a small Baptist church in the country where everyone knew and loved each other… truly one big family.  My sister and I always loved getting our Easter dresses, hats and sometimes even a little purse to match.

I am aware that the Easter baskets we received were a treat but not the reason we celebrate this season.  I have a friend that does Spring baskets so the focus of Easter is Christ.  I think this is a great idea and maybe you want to institute this idea next year.
My gift for today was Easter baskets to children at the Caring Place, the local domestic violence shelter.  I filled the baskets with things I loved as a child.  Peeps, a chocolate bunny, stuffed animals, bubbles, play-doh, jump ropes, bubble bath and other little treasures. 

My hope with this gift today is that it will bring these children a little joy in a scary and unfamiliar situation.  I hope I have been able to provide these children a morning like I had growing up, excited to see what the Easter bunny had brought.  Finally, I hope the mothers of these children feel loved and that someone cares and is here supporting them during this time in their life.
If you have a domestic violence or homeless shelter in your community, it isn’t too late to call and see if the children will have Easter baskets on Easter morning.  If not, get some friends together and give joy to these children.

Mathew 28:6

No comments:

Post a Comment