An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 362-My favorite Christmas card

Christmas cards are one of my favorite things about the holiday season.  With Facebook, e-cards and e-mail I am fortunate that many of my friends still take time to send Christmas cards. I enjoy the letters and family photos, especially from those I don’t see or talk too much throughout the year.

Out of all the Christmas cards I receive, there is one I always wait for and is my favorite. It is the Christmas letter from Coach Bullock and Mrs. Coach.  Coach Bullock was my cross country coach at Taylor University.  He is a spry older man who had an impact on me that few in my life have.  Yes, there are many people that come and go in our lives and many make an impact. But there are those special few that make such a significant impact in your life that no matter where you are, how old you are or what you do, they will always be there in your thoughts, be reflected in how you make decisions and in your heart. Coach Bullock is one of those people. He was there with me day 1 when I stepped on campus at Taylor University, he was there when I suffered heartbreaking injuries and he was there with me on my wedding day.

He wasn’t only an amazing coach but he was a great friend who expected a lot of us as runners and as Christian women.  I think what I liked most about Coach was that he never made a decision for us as a runners.  He always gave us choices, the choice to work hard or be lazy or the choice to run extra miles or quit for the day. He made you want to work hard without ever raising his voice or being negative. He was an encourager. I worked hard because the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint Coach.

My gift yesterday was a hand-written note to Coach Bullock and Mrs. Coach.  I didn’t send Christmas letters (only cards with photos) this year, but felt it necessary to write and send one to him.  He is getting up there in years and his health has deteriorated but through his Christmas letter, I know he is still the same old coach.  By sending him this letter I wanted him to know what I had been up to but also to let him know that I still think about him and that he is loved and remembered.
Over the years, who has impacted your life? Take a couple of minutes today to drop them a note to tell them thank you for the difference they made in your life.  It will brighten your day and theirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment