An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 355- It was a sad day today.

Today is one of the saddest days of the year for me. I have probably cried six or seven times today.  Call me an emotional girl or someone who just has a heart and compassion for those that have lost a loved one in such a tragic way.  Call it a wife of a lawenforcement officer who worries every time her husband leaves the house. And today reminds me more than other days of that reality.

 I just returned from a law enforcement memorial that is held at 10:00 p.m. at the graveside of Trooper Scott Patrick.  10:00p.m. December 21, 2003 was the last time Trooper Patrick went 10-41. He would be shot and killed in the early morning on December 22nd. Tonight friends and family gather to remember him and to say, “You may be gone, but not forgotten.”  This year was extremely difficult because they had a bagpiper (gets me every time), the trumpeter and they did a special roll call for Scott on the air.
Scott was a friend of mine from the police academy and was good friends with my husband.  He was one of the best men I had ever met.  He always had a smile on his face, was quiet and never a bad word to say about anyone.  He was an incredible athlete and could run like the wind.

When he was killed in the line of duty his wife was two months pregnant. He would never get a chance to meet is son, Isaac “Scott” Patrick.  After Scott was killed my husband and I made a commitment that #1 we would be there for his family over the years and #2 his son would know what a heroic and wonderful law enforcement officer and man his father was.
His son would be born early in the month of June and at the time I bought tons of baby necessities and clothes.  And then I look it one step further.  Every birthday and Christmas starting in 2004, I have sent a gift to Scott.  He is now seven and he knows who we are and that makes my heart smile.

Today was my annual Christmas gift to Scott.  He loves Legos and I bought tons of Legos. 
When I was in college in college one of my friends mom passed away unexpectedly.  I remember talking to his father months later and he said “people surround you when the tragedy happens and they are at the funeral and then they go on with their lives and you are there to live with the pain and hurt day in and day out. People forgot, and I am still suffering.”

Those words have always stuck with me and I have tried really hard to stay in touch with Scott’s family so they know, I remember, I still hurt and he won’t be forgotten.
As I have stated many times before, say thank you to a police officer for the job they do.  99% of officers are the “good guys” sacrificing their life on a daily basis for our safety. 




No comments:

Post a Comment