An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 56 & 57- Birthday Gifts

Some of my favorite memories as a child are the wonderful birthday parties my parents would throw for me each year.  I loved having all my friends over to the house  having a special cake designed and decorated just for me and a special gift of something I had been hoping for probably since Christmas.  
I also enjoy celebrating others birthday. I like looking for that gift I know the receiver will just love.  On day 56 my gift was money to my brother-in-law for his birthday. I really hate giving money or gift cards for gifts because I feel they are so impersonal, but sometimes it is the easiest and most appreciated gift.  My gift on day 57 was to my niece. She loves all the princesses and Disney movies. My gift theme for here was Tangled. I got her the Tangled Barbie with horse and prince, a miniature Tangle doll and the Tangled booked.  She also loves to color and told me the week prior she needed a new coloring book. She loves animals so I found her a Discovery animal coloring book and then bought the Crayon Tower that came with 150 crayons.  I would have loved this crayon tower as a child. 
Also on day 57 I gave gifts to my mom, sister and niece from our trip to Mexico.  Whenever one of us travels we always bring each other back a memento from the trip. It is a tradition we started many years ago and has continued to this day.
Do you love celebrating birthdays? Do you have any fun birthday gifts you like to give?  Do you bring back gifts for any family members when you travel?  I would love to hear ideas others have and how you celebrate birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment