An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 55-Ride to School

Today was a fun gift for me to give, but it was a gift that happened because of a bad situation. One of my friends little boy was taken to the emergency room late the prior night. I found this out through facebook so I sent my friend a text to see if there was anything I could do to help.  She asked me if it would be possible to go pick her other son up at her parents in the morning and take him to school.  She had her hands full as did her parents.  I graciously accepted and was more than happy to give this gift that would help her family out.  As a bonus for me I got to spend some time with her little two year girl who is just adorable. On our way to school the topic of conversation was Boss, my husband’s K-9 partner. Kids just love him and always have tons of questions about him. I am glad my friend’s child had paid attention because even though he is in first grade he knew exactly where I needed to pull in to drop him off and which door he needed to go in. 
How many times do you see a need or where someone could use an extra hand and ignored it or tried to justify you are too busy to help? I have been guilty of this in the past but I am trying to change to old ways. It is sometimes easier written than actually taking action, but I am trying.  It is easy to make excuses and come up with laundry lists of why we can’t help. Yes, sometimes it is just not possible to help out, but I think we need to start distinguishing the difference between we can’t verses we won’t.  I think once we make the conscious decision to help we open up the door to grow friendships and let people know we are someone they can count on for not only the fun times but the difficult times also. That is the kind of friend I want to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment