An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 53, 54 and 66-Referrals

I apologize that I have gotten a bit behind on my blogging lately.  Every year about this time I start a large project at work that I work on for about two months working early mornings, late nights and weekends. After sitting in front of a computer from morning  until night  the last thing I have felt like doing is blogging.  I hope to catch up by combining some of my days that have similar gifts.  Today I am writing about days 53, 54 and 66. 
As a small business owner I understand the importance of networking and referrals.  Due to having a full time job, I am limited to working with organizing clients in the evenings and mainly on weekends.  Over the past several months I have had numerous potential clients contact me wanting my services and I didn’t have time to take on their projects. Instead of just saying no, I can’t help, I located other professional organizers in their area and then contacted the organizer and passed along the referral. This gift was both to the customers I couldn’t help and to my competition. 
How many times have you contacted a business and never received a return call? Or how many times were you told by a company they couldn’t help you. I have had this happen on many occasions and I know I will never contact that business again.  If you are a small business owner, provide a gift to people you are unable to assist and refer them to someone that can.  Networking is how many small businesses receive customers. I almost always know if I don’t offer a particular service I know someone that does.

No comments:

Post a Comment