An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 52-Bob Evans (February 21st)

I am not sure why, but I am having trouble writing a blog for this day.  I have started and stopped it about 10 times today and seem to be having writers block.  My gift for this day was to treat my friend and her son to breakfast at Bob Evans.  It was her day off and I was happy she chose to spend her morning with me. I had gift cards left over from Christmas so I figured I could use them on this day to pay for our breakfast. My friend was gracious for the free meal and she had leftovers for her son for lunch.  I use to be stingy with my gift cards, trying to make them last as long as I could and only using them for myself.  But since my giving challenge has started I find it much easier to use up my gift cards on other people. It is funny how the more I give, the more I want to give and the more opportunities I to find to give. Have you given a gift today?

2 comments:

  1. Gifts can be small, right? I think I did two today:
    First, my husband and I frequent a very small family-run Korean restaurant. They sell homemade kimchi and I stopped in today to pick up a jar (for a VERY reasonable $5). I didn't have any cash and would have to run my credit card. I decided to throw another item from the fridge in (another item we really like) to bump up the total and left a tip because the lady who runs everything is so sweet and is a PHENOMENAL person who always makes us feel welcome.
    Second: My mom and I are going together on my cousin's baby shower gift. My husband has Amazon Prime (something he pays to be a member of) that gives us free shipping, so I offered to get the gift and have it shipped so my mom wouldn't have to pay.
    I can only do small things (since I am without a job right now), but maybe the little things are big to some people.
    Thanks for your posts Stephanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kassie-Thanks for taking the time to share. Both of those are great gifts. I think to many times we think if a gift as something that has to cost alot. For me somedays a gift can be a hug to someone that needs it, holding the door for a mom with a stroller and a couple of kids, sending someone a text to say "I'm thinking of you!" As I have said before sometimes the smalles gifts have the biggest impact. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete