An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 51-Run 2 Remember (February 20th)

If you have read any of my prior posts you will know that I have a soft spot for families who have lost a loved one in the line of duty.  I think one of my callings in life is to be there to provide support and comfort to these family members.  I don’t know if feel like it is my duty to support the families; I mean, their son, daughter, wife, husband, brother, sister died protecting us and keeping us safe.  I think I also do it, because God forbid something ever happen to my husband on duty, I would hope someone, even people I don’t know, would be there to support me.
For the past two years I have participated with a group of friends in the Chicago 5k Run to Remember. It is an event sponsored by the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation. The Chicago Police Memorial Foundation provides support and assistance to the families of Chicago Police Officers who were killed or catastrophically injured in the line of duty.  It is a day not only to have fun with friends and get a little exercise along the lakeshore, but it is a way to show our support to the families.
My gift for this day was to sign up and make my contribution to participate for the third year in a row in the Run 2 Remember.
If you are a runner or walker in the Chicago area I encourage you to come out and join us for this event. More information can be found at http://www.cpdmemorial.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment