An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 45-Sweethearts (February 14th)

Sweethearts, these were one of my favorite candies as a child.  Several times around Valentine’s Day my father would surprise my sister and I with a box of Sweethearts.  We were always grateful and thought of these as special treats. I wonder if children today are thankful when they receive a simple gift such as Sweethearts or are they use to video games and dolls which were toys we only received at Christmas and on our birthday.   
Since Sweethearts and Valentines were something I have always loved, prior to leaving on our vacation I picked up an 8-pack of Sweethearts in Spanish and Valentine cards and packed them in my suitcase.  When Valentine’s Day arrived I pasted out Sweethearts and Olivia (the pig) Valentines to the staff at the resort. I received big smiles and Happy Valentine’s Day in return. Another small gift that cost me $4 in total, but went along way to say thank you and you are appreciated.
I hope you all had a Happy Valentine’s Day 2011! I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment