An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 44-Day off (February 13th)

My gift today was simple and didn’t cost me a dime but I think made the housekeeper at the resort happy.  This was our third day on vacation and we had spent very little time in the room.  We are neat and clean people so I didn’t see the need for housekeeping to waste their time and efforts on our room just because it is policy to clean rooms every day.  When our housekeeper arrived for the day we were getting ready to head out for a lazy day at the pool. I looked at her and told her not to worry about cleaning our room for the day.  She smiled and said “Are you sure?”  I let her know in a kind way that I was 100% sure. I was giving her the day off from at least one room cleaning today.  She said, “thank you, thank you, thank you!”  I asked for new towels and out she went. 
I don’t know about you, but I hate cleaning my home let alone cleaning room, after room everyday for six days a week.  Even though it was only one room off her list for the day maybe she was able to take a 15 minute break or leave for home earlier that day.  We rarely even get to see the results of random acts of kindness but I hope this small gift made her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment