An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 39- More letters and another tip

Is it ever going to be spring? Living in Northwest Indiana this time of year is a bit depressing.  We received another 3.5 inches of snow today due to lake effect.  My husband and I were out for a couple of doctor appointments this morning and did not realize there was going to be whiteout conditions.  One of the doctors was over an hour late due to weather.  So to treat ourselves for the miserable morning in traffic and waiting rooms we went out for lunch.  My first gift was a nice tip to the waitress. She was very attentive and deserved a little more today than the usual 15%. 
My second gift today was letters to four families that have lost a loved one in the line of duty.  Back on Day 24 I wrote to all the families of officers who had been killed in the line of duty so far in 2011. I have decided that a part of my Year of Giving I will write every family who loses a loved one in the line of duty.  I know it was unrealistic, but what a blessing if I never had to give this gift.  Unfortunately in the past 15 days, four officers have given the ultimate sacrifice. Those officers were Officer Califano, Col. Malloy, Officer Biendl, and Officer Pomales.  To learn more about these officers and the sacrifices they made to protect our communities please visit http://www.odmp.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment