An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 36-Eye Glasses

I am blind as a bat without my eye glasses or contacts.  I typically wear a watch to bed so if I wake up during the night I know what time it is because I can’t see the numbers on the alarm clock. If I take my glasses off I couldn’t see the computer screen to type this blog or send e-mail. 
Until yesterday, I took the fact that I am able to afford eye glasses for granted.  This is a luxury for many around the world even though it should be a necessity.  One of my best friends from the police academy had a little boy, Cameron. Cameron was three or four at the time.  He was always running into things and his parents thought he was just a little clumsy.  They could never get him to focus when they were reading him a book or try to teach him colors and shapes. He would get frustrated very quickly.  They weren’t for sure why no one had checked it before or caught it, but Cameron needed glasses.  It wasn’t that he was clumsy or didn’t want to learn it was because he couldn’t see.  My friend felt so guilty and I nearly cried when he told me the story.  The day Cameron received his new little glasses his world changed. He could see clearly for the first time. Things weren’t just blobs.  To someone this little he didn’t know what he didn’t know.
Yesterday my gift was donating my old eye glasses to the Lions Club. I have seen this collection bin at my post office for years and never took the time to bring in my old glasses.
I went to the Lions Club website at http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/our-work/sight-programs/index.php and it is amazing what they are doing with their Sight Programs.
Here is a little excerpt from their website:
“In just about any dresser drawer, one can find a pair of eyeglasses that are no longer being used. That same pair of eyeglasses can change another person's life.  Most of the recycled glasses are distributed to people in need in developing countries where they will have the greatest impact.”

If you have an old pair of glasses I recommend going to their website and finding a collection bin near you. A simple way to make a difference!

1 comment:

  1. Steph - I have been a Lion for about 10 years and have been to Mexico on Eye Glass Missions about 8 times. During the week or 2 we are there we give full exams and a free pair of glasses to as many people as possible. Smaller missions ahve served a couple thousand and the larger ones serve almost 11,000 in a week. It is an amazing course of events. I had a 92 yr old woman once who was thrilled to finally clearly see her 70 something yr old daughter and how beautiful she was. It is quite a humbling experience for me.
    We live in a selfish wasteful country and with the little they have, they are happier than the millions of us. Thanks for posting.
    Jeni Bolton - Hands That Give Ministry, Life Bridge christian church

    ReplyDelete