An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34- Shoveling

Looking from the inside out it appeared to be a beautiful day outside. Then I opened the door and was smacked in the face and the realization that it was 6 degrees outside and felt like -6.  I have been cooped up in the house since Sunday.  To say I have cabin fever would be an understatement. 
Since snow blowing the driveway two evenings ago we received more snow and it was starting to accumulate making it difficult get a car in the driveway.  I decided my gift today would be to go out and shovel Mike’s side of the driveway.  I wanted to use the snow blower but I am pretty sure it weighs more than I do. I envisioned it dragging me around the neighborhood until it ran out of gas or I hit a tree! 
Today I was very thankful for running tights and gloves, 5.11 socks, thermal shirts, snow pants, boots and an insulated coat. I looked like a weeble wobble going to play in the snow. 
Several times while I was shoveling I had to stop, not because I was tired, but because I was in awe of how majestic the scenery was around me.  I often complain about living in the country because it seems like I have to drive everywhere. I dream of the days where I live in the city and I can walk or ride a bike to the grocery store or cafĂ©. But today I was thankful for living in rural Indiana. The sky was painted purple and blue to the east and pink and orange to the west.  It was so calm and peaceful. No cars, sirens, kids screaming…just perfect silence. Even though I was trying to give my husband a gift today, God gave me one in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment