An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 33-Blizzard 2011

I am not for sure what part of the country or world you are reading this post from, but I live in Northwest Indiana where over the past 24 hours we have received approximately 20 inches of snow.   Last I read this is the third worst snow storm on record and definitely the blizzard of 2011.  Some days I am not for sure if working from home is a blessing or a curse. Most of my friends were off work today due to the snow, but since my work is here at home my day was filled with meetings and projects.
My husband was supposed to be off work this week on vacation but when a blizzard like this roles in all vacations are cancelled for the state police.  He was called out yesterday at noon and got home around 1:30 a.m.  I am not quite sure how he made it home. At one point he was pulled out of the snow by a Good Samaritan and then thankfully a county snow plow was nearby to guide him the remainder the way home.  I must apologize to my neighbors because he had to snow blow the driveway at 1:30 this morning to get his car off the road and into the garage. He was back out at work today and will work another twelve hour shift. From what I am hearing on the news, tomorrow will be even worse; with not only the snow blowing but the wind-chill temperature will be between -20 and -40 below. I am so glad my days as a cop are over!
My gift today was to my husband.  I made him a batch, from scratch, of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. They are waiting for him in the kitchen whenever he gets home. Which for his sake I hope is sooner than later. 
During these times, please remember to say thank you to those that keep the streets clear and the roads safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment