An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Year of Giving

Several weeks ago I read the book 29 Gifts. It was an amazing book of a young women's battle to regain control over her life after being diagnosed with MS.  In the book, the author, Cami Walker challenges everyone to go through the 29 day giving journey.  It is my goal to go beyond the 29 days and do an entire year of giving.  I also started a blog on http://www.29gifts.org/, but wanted an opportunity for anyone to view my thoughts and not just those that were members of http://www.29gifts.org/.

Day 1-Phone call and laundry
Can you believe it is 2011?  I am always excited for the new year. New beginnings and new adventures.  I read 29 Gifts several weeks ago when a dear friend of mine recommended it on her Face book page.  It was a quick read and I was excited to start my own 29 day journey.  I feel since I have read the book I have been giving on a daily basis, but I didn't want to make it official until today...January 1st! 

I have thought about my giving journey and if I was going to plan what I was going to give or if I would just let giving opportunities present their self to me. I have decided a combination of both will make for a great 29 days.

Today I wasn't for sure what my gift would be. I had no plans to leave the house. After dinner, a movie and hanging out late with friends celebrating the new year I wanted to have today to get things done around the house and relax a bit.  I thought today is going to have to be a day where my gift idea would come to me and sure enough it did.

I have given two gifts today.  The first was a phone call to my dear friend Vanessa who moved to Iowa the first of December. Vanessa is not just any friend, but a special friend who holds a dear place in my heart.  I am a former police officer and my husband is a state trooper. We participate in an event every year called Shop with a Cop. This event is held in our community to provide clothing and Christmas gifts to children in need.  In 2009, I had the pleasure to shop with Vanessa and her two great nieces.  They desperately needed help and only purchased clothes because toys were not a basic necessity.  This pulled at my heartstrings and I called Vanessa the next day and asked what we could do for the girls for Christmas. Through this one call we develop a year long friendship in which God has truly blessed me to have them in my life.  My first gift was a call to Vanessa and the girls to see if they had settled in and adjusted to their new life in Iowa. I was glad to hear all is well.

My second gift today was to my husband.  He left for work and I noticed he had a several piles of laundry that needed to be done and a basket of clean clothes that needed to be folded. We have been married for seven years and I am not for sure when it happened, but at some point we started doing our own laundry. I am guessing it occurred after he shrunk some of my clothes!  Anyway, my gift to him today is to wash, dry and fold all of his laundry. I think he will be pleasantly surprised when he gets off duty that his laundry for the week is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment