An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 9-Living Hope

I have been fortunate enough to find a church and a pastor that fits my needs.  Today my gift was a financial gift to my church, Living Hope in Valparaiso.  Living Hope and Pastor Rich are very active in the community from helping with housing homeless men in the winter to providing an Alzheimer’s service to residents of a local senior community and much, much more.  The money is always spent wisely and I know it will help to provide needed services in our community.
My second gift today was to donate diapers and canned goods to our local food pantry. Our church is a collection site, so donating is very simple. I am always amazed that when I look for sales on diapers, canned food and paper products adding a couple of things to my shopping cart are not that costly.
Do you have a food pantry in your community?  If so, go through your cabinets to see if you have anything (non-expired) goods you can donate. Or the next time you are at the grocery store pick up a few items that is most needed by your local food pantry.  A couple of dollars can go a long way to help feed a family in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment