An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8- Success Trek

One of my dear friends, Theresa Valade is the CEO of Success Trek. Theresa is a business coach who helps individuals and organizations achieve their goals more quickly.  We met nearly five years ago at a chamber event. As she was starting her business, I was starting mine.  Over the years we have learned a lot from each other. And not only did our businesses grow but our friendship flourished.
I have been blessed with a God given gift to help people not only organize clutter in their homes and offices but their thoughts and ideas.  Today I helped Theresa with strategic planning for Success Trek.  This is typically a service I offer for a fee. Today I choose to give my time and talents as a gift to my friend.
The two-hour planning session was very motivating as we bounced ideas off each other and started to build a plan to help Success Trek continue to grow.  I have to commend my friend. Many businesses only focus on the bottom line. Success Trek, even though the bottom line is important, have contributed in the past 4 year more than $40,000 of pro bono work, gifts and volunteer services to local non-profits and community organizations.
We all have God given gifts.  Are you using your gift to your best ability? Or is it sitting on a shelf collecting dust?  Now is a great time as any to start using your gifts to make a difference in the lives of those around you. You may be surprised by the opportunities that will come your way.

2 comments:

  1. I cherish our friendship Stephanie! I am so grateful that we both can clearly see how we leverage our individual talents to impact those around us. I look forward to our continued efforts in achieving additional ways to making a difference. Lastly, on the business side of things, thanks so much for helping me sort through my strategic thoughts.

    ReplyDelete