An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6-Donuts

I love donuts. But I can’t keep them around the house. Donuts and really any other sweet are like chips, I can’t eat just one.  Over the Christmas holiday I had to go to the hospital for a mammogram. I have a friend who always says, “Mammograms are like getting your boobs smashed in the garage door!” And I think she is right.
Anyway, the nurse performing the test was wonderful.  Once she took me back to the dressing room there was an emergency and I was left to wait. She continually checked in on me to make sure I was okay. She got me water, magazines and chit chatted for a bit.  My usual experience in the hospital is people rush in your room, get what they need and rush out. She was so caring and showed true compassion.
This morning I had to stop by the hospital to pick up the films and report.  I took the nurse a thank you note and a box of Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts.  She wasn’t there so I had to leave them with the receptionist. I hope this put a smile on her face when she arrived at work today.
I also surprised my husband with his favorite, a jelly filled donut as a second gift for the day.
My challenge to you today is to send an e-mail or mail a card to someone who showed you true compassion. This could be something from last week, last month or last year. I am sure no matter the length of time that has passed your kind gesture will warm their heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment