An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5-Dinner and a Good Book

Two of my favorite things to do in life are have dinner with friends and read a good book.  There is something about good food and great conversation that can turn a hectic day into a pleasant one very quickly. 
This evening I met one of my dear friends for dinner at Panera Bread. I have been fighting a cold so chicken noodle soup was the only thing that sounded good to me while we were planning were to meet.  My gift today was picking up the tab for our meal. I know it is not expected, but it is something I like to do when I can.  I always think I am receiving the better end of the deal when my friends take time out of their busy schedule to have dinner with me.
 The second gift I gave today stemmed from an event I attended in October for our local domestic violence shelter, The Caring Place. I was fortunate enough to meet the author, Kate Collins, of the Flower Shop Mystery series.  At the event I purchased the first book in the series, Mums the Word.  I loved the book so much I bought several copies to share with friends. I gave the book to my friend I met for dinner because I know she is always looking for something good to read.
I have started the second book in the series, Slay it with Flowers. You may, or may not, be wondering why I like these books so much. I typically only read books where I can get out my highlighter, take notes and learn something.  And even though I enjoy the books I read, sometimes I want to relax and not learn. The Flower Shop Mystery books are fun, carefree and have a bit of mystery and romance, but are not trashy.  They are what I like to call my bath books. The book I want to read when I am sitting by the fire or soaking in a nice hot bubble bath.   If you love to read, I highly recommend checking out A Flower Shower Mystery.

7 comments:

  1. Although it's only been short of a week of your blogging, I've been following! Very positive and caring and I've, at the very least, been trying to be a little more aware. Opening doors for older people, etc. Little and somewhat insignificant to what you're doing, I know, but at least you're making me more aware of the things I do. Kudos, Steph! Even little bits can help, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your blog, Stephanie. The Flowershop Mystery Series Books are my absolute favorite. Kate will be so happy to hear that you have been sharing her books with others. Also, it is nice to hear that The Caring Place help spark today's blog!

    Your blog is a great idea. Cannot wait to see how the rest of it comes along! Have you seen the movie JULIE AND JULIA? This blog reminds me of that movie. :) I agree with the other posting... very positive and way to make people think about our actions and how just little things can put a smile on peoples faces.

    -Lindsey

    PS- Do you have books 3-10? If not, let me know and you can borrow mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No act of kindness is insignificant. No matter how big or small your actions make an impact in someone else's life. Yes, every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes-I have seen the movie Julie and Julia. And no I could never cook like she did! Thanks for the offer on the books, but I have them already. I can't wait to get book #2 completed so I am move onto the remainder of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snipped in the Bud (book 4) and Dirty Rotten Tendrils (book 10) are my favorites. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Stephanie, for your kind comments on my mystery series. I'm so glad you're enjoying them. I look forward to getting more involved with The Caring Place and the wonderful women who give their time there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey-I can't wait to get to 4 & 10.
    Kate-You are so welcome!

    ReplyDelete