An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3-Christmas Cards

I love Christmas and everything that comes with celebrating the birth of Jesus.  One of my favorite things about the season is Christmas cards.  I work out my home so an excuse to get up and stretch is to go retrieve the mail.  During the holidays it is extra special because I know there will be beautifully decorated cards from friends and family around the world.  Whenever I open a Christmas card I feel special that someone took the time and money to mail our family a card.
When postage increased and e-mail became more prevalent I briefly thought about doing away with sending cards. This thought was fleeting and I figured if I loved receiving Christmas cards I knew others must also.  They are tiny gifts that bring smiles to thousands of people each year.
Even though time and money goes into the Christmas card, I can’t save them all. In years past I threw them away. Sad, but true.  This year, through reading another blog, I discovered a Christmas card recycling program through St. Jude’s Ranch for Children (SJRC). The mission of SJRC is to serve abused, abandoned and neglected children and families, creating new chances, new choices and new hope in a safe, homelike environment (http://www.stjudesranch.org/about_mission.php).
Today my gift is donating my Christmas cards to SJRC.  They will create new Christmas cards which will be sold as a fundraiser for the organization.  It is exciting to think that a Christmas card someone sent me this year will bring JOY to someone else next year.  If you haven’t thrown out your Christmas cards, I challenge you to help out St. Jude’s Ranch for Children. For more information: http://www.stjudesranch.org/help_card.php

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog Stephanie! I'm going to donate my cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the blog! I am going to be a regular follower. Good luck on your MBA. B.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! I am glad to hear you are donating your cards.

    ReplyDelete