An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 27- A Salute

Do you have a ritual or a habit of doing something but you can’t explain why you do it?  Five and a half years ago I moved from Indianapolis to Northwest Indiana.  The drive from Indianapolis to my home is basically a straight shot up Interstate 65.  When we first moved to “the Region” I still worked in Indianapolis as a consultant for the state and traveled often for work and to see my family. I then spent 24 weeks traveling back and forth to the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy training to become of police officer. During one of my first treks south I noticed a cross on the side of the road that caught my attention. Through some research I found out the cross was placed there in Memory of Master Trooper Michael Greene. He was killed in the line of duty on February 5, 1993.  Every time I drive by the location he was killed I give a salute.  I know it may sound silly but I felt compelled to do so and now it is a ritual.  A ritual to say, your sacrifice is not forgotten.
I have often wondered if anyone else does the same thing and my question was answered on January 25, 2011.  In the light of the shooting of Officer Moore a local news station ran a story on the murder of Master Trooper Greene.  The story was an interview with his brother John Greene and his son, now a Deputy Sheriff, Michael Greene.  I learned from the interview that his brother honks and his son touches his heart every time they drive by the location where their brother and father was killed.  His son ended the story by saying, “We try to make sure everyone remembers my father throughout the years. It is an honor when people still remember.”
Today my gift was a letter to Master Trooper Greene’s son. I wanted to let him know that I remember his father and the sacrifice he made for the citizens of Indiana. I also shared with him about my salute!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you Stephanie! I got your card and letter and thought it was wonderful. I also thought it was kind of silly that I do what I do when I pass his cross, but I realize that all that matters is remembering and paying tribute. For me its a way to say "I love you Dad".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie!
    I don't think it sounds silly at all.
    I've talked to many people that honk or say a prayer or do something else when they go by my brother's cross.
    You are a kind lady.
    Thanks,
    John Greene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about you an your family today.

      Delete
  3. When I make the trip Boone Co. I always give the respect to Mater Trooper Greene to do the "Father,Son,Holy Ghost" cross to him as I pass the Cross where he gave his life, I went to school with his son "mike" he graduated a cpl yrs before me, but, my daddy was an officer himself, and I thank GOD everyday, he is still with me, so to Mike, I do not know the grief you go through, but every year, on my birthday, I do reflect on your dads service to OUR community and the PROMISE he upheld to keep us safe, GOD bless you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think nearly everyone that knew Mike or his son salutes or says a prayer when ever they pass by.
    I usually do both.
    My sister, Marsha, is Deputy Mike's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie -

    Thanks for this.
    I was there on February 5, 1993.

    Since I live in Cincinnati, I don't go by there very often. When I am driving northbound, I still get goosebumps and tears when I start up that small hill.

    When I drive south, I always stop for a minute and talk to Mike.

    I am certain he would smile at what you are doing.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  6. For you who don't know this, JC is one of the people that tried to save my Dads life. It means the world to know so many people still remember. JC has stayed close to my family. It is amazing how this horrible thing has touched so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for taking the time to visit my blog. I also want to thank you for your comments and taking the time to share. It means alot. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think It is a Tribute to the Father, Brother, Friend that was lost that day.
    People should take a moment to think what our world would be like without Law Enforcement Officers who Love what they have been called to do.
    "Police Officers Do More Than Just Write Tickets"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I moved from "The Region" to Indpls many years ago, and often travel I65...I had the privelage of meeting & becoming a friend of Johns. Whenever I pass the cross, my thoughts & prayers always go out to the Greene Family.

    ReplyDelete