An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 26-Polar Plunge

Today I joined Kiwanis.  It seems like a wonderful organization and fits my mission of making a difference. I also joined for a selfish reason. Since I work from home this will get me out of the office at least once a week interacting LIVE with other business professionals. I must say I am a little spoiled because even having to go out today made me appreciate the warmth of my home and not having to leave the house for work in the morning on a daily basis.
During the meeting a spry older women stood up and talked about how she was participating in the Polar Plunge and would be accepting donations.  I knew this would be my gift for the day.  As I was walking out of the meeting I handed her a donation for her upcoming plunge into what I am guessing a very, very cold lake.  I can’t even imagine. God bless people like her. Going to, what I consider the extreme all in the name of a cause she believes in.
The Polar Plunge will raise funds for the Indiana Special Olympics. The Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in more than 20 Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.  I love the Special Olympics Athlete Oath, “Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”
On a side note, I know many of you read my blog on Day 24-TheThin Blue Line. It is with a heavy heart that I pass along the news that Officer David Moore passed away this morning at 6:18a.m.   His parents are doing a wonderful thing in donating his organs. He will donate 8-10 organs in all going to help save the lives of those in need of a transplant.  He gave the ultimate sacrifice protecting the citizens of Indianapolis, IN. In his death, he continued to serve and give the most precious gift of all, LIFE.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete