An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 23-National Marrow Donor Program®

Today I received official confirmation that I am a member of the Be the Match Registry ®.   What does this mean? Several months ago I gave a saliva swab to be a bone marrow donor. As of today I am listed as a potential donor for leukemia patients who are searching for a match.  I signed up to be a donor because my coworkers’ husband needed a donor match.  Thankfully he found a match through this registry.
A complete stranger will be giving his bone marrow to save my friend’s husband’s life. The donor has to travel, be in and out of the hospital, take time off work and go to doctors appointments all for someone he has never met.  It gives me hope there are still incredible selfless people in world.
I also gave a financial donation today to The National Marrow Donor Program ®. I directed my gift to provide financial assistance to help patients throughout their transplant.  The transplant process can be very expensive and may not be covered by all insurances.
According to the e-mail I received today I could be a match tomorrow, next week or never, but I like to think I am at least giving someone a chance. Someone who hasn’t had a donor and I am their match or could be a match to someone in the future.  I donated because I would hope someone out there would do the same thing for me.
If you would like more information on being a donor you can visit their website at http://www.marrow.org/.  The initial process of submitting a saliva swab is completely painless and you are not required to give if you happen to be a match.

1 comment:

  1. Great information! Thanks Stephanie

    ReplyDelete