An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 21-TOMS

Have you ever come across a car, a book or a person that you had never seen or heard of but then after you see it first time it seems to be everywhere?  That is how it was for me and TOMS Shoes.  I had read an article on the founder Blake Mycoskie and I was intrigued by his business model. After I read this article, Blake and TOMS Shoes seemed to be everywhere.  I fell in love with TOMS.
Today my gift was a pair of shoes to a child I will never know or meet.  What an amazing business model.  For every pair of shoes purchased, TOMS Shoes will give a pair of shoes away. One man’s dream to make a difference turned into providing over one MILLION pairs of shoes to children in need. Can you imagine if companies throughout the world operated on this model or even had a giving focus? Can you dare to imagine the impact it would have in the U.S. and around the world?
I bought a pair of TOMS not because I needed a new pair of shoes, even though I am excited to get them in the mail they look comfy, but because I wanted to support a company that is giving back and making a difference.  I encourage you to do the same.
When I checked out the following appeared:
You are giving 1 pair of shoes to a child in need
To learn more about TOMS I encourage you to visit their website at https://www.toms.com/movement-one-for-one

No comments:

Post a Comment