An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20-Home Sweet Home

Have you ever really stopped to think about how truly blessed you are to have a roof over your head and a place to call home?  This morning I volunteered to donate breakfast to the homeless men in our community.  The churches in our town rotate housing homeless men during the winter months.  I got up at 4:30a to pick up a hot breakfast from McDonald’s so they would have something warm to eat before they started their day.
Last night I had picked up orange juice and milk to take with me to the church.  As I was scurrying around the house this morning I totally forgot the milk in my refrigerator.  I had just purchased milk at the store for my husband and me, so I knew we couldn’t drink two gallons over the next week.  My neighbor has three growing boys so I called her to see if she would want the milk.  She graciously accepted. I am sure those two gallons will be gone by the weekend.
As I was jogging back across the street I was taken aback by how bone chilling cold it was outside. I was thinking how I could hardly tolerate being outside for a minute. I couldn’t imagine trying to get through the day and night being out in this weather.  At that moment I was overwhelmed by the thought of not having a warm place to sleep and being very thankful I opened the door to warmth.  I am lucky to live in a community that saw a need and filled a gap for these homeless men. 
Every time I see a homeless person I try not to judge. I don’t know their story or what led them to these circumstances.  And then this passage from the Bible, Matthew 25:33-40 comes to mind. On the last day, Jesus will say to those on His right hand, "Come, enter the Kingdom. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was sick and you visited me." Then Jesus will turn to those on His left hand and say, "Depart from me because I was hungry and you did not feed me, I was thirsty and you did not give me to drink, I was sick and you did not visit me." These will ask Him, "When did we see You hungry, or thirsty or sick and did not come to Your help?" And Jesus will answer them, "Whatever you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to do unto Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment