An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2-Hershey Kisses

I was excited for my gift giving today. It was a simple gift.  I learned from the book the gifts don’t have to be extravagant and even the small things can have a great impact. On New Year’s Eve we were out with some friends and on the tables were baskets of Hershey Kisses. I don’t drink or smoke, but I think it is safe to say I have an addiction to chocolate.
As the clock ticked down to midnight I easily consumed 20 Hershey Kisses.  One of our friends asked me if I would fill my purse with the treat so he could take some home.  As the night wore on, I had forgotten about the request. When I got home from our evening there sat a bag of Hershey Kisses on the counter and I knew they would be a part of my gift giving journey.
Every year around Christmas, this year the week after, I spend an entire day baking cookies and candies for friends and neighbors.  This year I didn’t get to my beloved peanut butter blossoms.  This is a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey Kiss pressed in the middle. Since I had intended on making these cookies I had a baggie full of Hershey Kisses.  I am not for sure how, probably the distraction of Miniature Snickers and chocolate covered cherries, I hadn’t consumed the bag of Hershey Kisses.  So today I printed a little card I downloaded from www.29gifts.org, placed it in the bag and sent the gift to work with my husband to give to his co-worker (the guy from NYE who wanted me to stick Hershey Kisses in my purse).  According to my husband, our friend was a bit surprised and very thankful. Two days down and many more gifts to give!

No comments:

Post a Comment