An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 16- Boy Scouts

Today was a fun gift to give. My good friend Jeannie had asked my husband if he could do a K-9 demonstration for her son’s Boy Scout Troop. My husband has to do so many public appearances with his K-9 Boss so he was happy to help out. For his demonstrations he always provides the kids with plastic trooper hats, pencils and rulers.  And today I wanted them to have a special treat.
 Last year when I was working on a candy project for my niece, I came across police equipment candy molds. I wasn’t for sure how I would use them but I knew they would come in handy sooner than later. Today was the perfect occasion to test my candy molds.
I made individual treats for each scout. I decided to go with chocolate badges and police radios.  The chocolates turned out really well and I think were a hit with the kids. I thought about making the handcuff’s but then I pictured little boys, putting on chocolate handcuffs and then melting chocolate getting on their clothes, the car and anything else they touched. Scout mom and dads probably would not have been happy with me.
I have learned from having nieces and nephews that it doesn’t take much to put a smile on a child’s face. Think about a way you can add a special touch to an event. Maybe it is a treat for children at church, at a local daycare; boys or girls scout group or a child’s birthday party. Making homemade candies are one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment