An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 15-Global Outreach

August 1995 I arrived at Taylor University, a week before most students, to report for cross country camp.  I didn’t know at the time, but the first person I met would become one of my dearest friends.  During college my friend felt she was being called to do missions work in China.  At first I could not understand this. It was very selfish questioning on my part. I couldn’t understand how she could leave her friends and family in America to go to a world where she knew no one and to do something so dangerous. She definitely has more courage than I could ever have.  Today my gift was a financial donation to her and her family so they can continue to do their work in China. 
I have been supporting her for quite some time and always enjoy her newsletters, cards and e-mails. She is definitely living life to the fullest.   She only makes it to the states every couple of years and I was honored to be able to host her and her family in our home this summer. I love having those friends who even though you don’t see or talk to each other for years, when you do see them your conversation picks up where it left off and doesn’t skip a beat.  I miss her dearly and can’t wait for her next visit to the U.S.
If you are able, I encourage you to help your friends live their dream. Many times it is only through the support of friends, families and strangers that people are able to follow their life’s mission.  Do you have a friend that needs your help?  If you can’t donate financially ask them if there are other ways you can help. I am sure they have needs that stretch beyond money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment