An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14-Did you know?

Did you know you can donate gently used magazines to your local library? Over the past year I have collected a shelf full of magazines. I received free subscriptions through air miles, but don’t have nearly the amount of time it would take to read all of them. I get a wide variety including Conde Nast Traveler, This Old House, Success, Entertainment Weekly, Inc., Money, Budget Travel, Time, Glamour and Sports Illustrated. 
I have been recycling some of the magazines, but I feel so bad sticking them in recycling. I wanted a good home for them. I love magazines but had to come to the realization I was never going to read all of them. And at month’s end I would have even more!
I must admit, I am still holding onto my Real Simple Magazines.  I have them nicely organized in magazine boxes in my office closet. They have been there for two years and I haven’t touched them. I should take the advice I give my clients. If you haven’t used it in six months and they don’t have a purpose they need to find a new home.  Anyone need Real Simple magazines?
My gift today was donating these magazines to the library. It is my understanding they will put the magazines into circulation or sell them to buy new books. Do you have any other ideas of what I can do with magazines?

3 comments:

  1. My church collects magazines (among other things) to send to soldiers overseas...so I'll take whatever magazines you are willing to part with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send me an e-mail at 1makingadifference@gmail.com and let me know what church you attend or where I can send/drop off magazines. Also, let me know what other items you collect. Thanks! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I would share this comment from my friend Jenny regarding ideas for magazines: You could always sell the magazines at 1/2 Price Books. I usually pass around my Real Simples to co-workers so that they get at least 4 or 5 good reads. If there are articles, tips, or recipes I want to keep, I'll just ask to get the maga...zine back when they're finished so that I can rip out the pages I like (which I have turned into binders of things I love) before I recycle them. I just read a 'how-to' article in Martha Stewart Living about turning colorful magazine pages into gift bows, so that's next on my list to try. I also clip out words, phrases, etc that I think I might be able to use in crafty projects (picture frames, cards, etc) before I get rid of them. Just some thoughts... ;)

    ReplyDelete