An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 12- Prayers to Washington

Today my gift giving efforts were a bit challenged by the fact I work from home and the snow blanketed our small community.  I knew the day would come when I would have to think outside the box to give a gift.  Living in the country and working from home gives me limited access to people. My contact today with the outside world consisted of communication through video, phone and e-mail. I love video though because I have been in offices in Oklahoma, Minnesota, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Michigan, and Virginia all in one day!
Last week I was reading another blog and stumbled across a lady, Mary, about my age whose husband, Tyler, passed away on January 6, 2011. He had been fighting Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) and lost the battle.  Mary’s friend had posted an address and encouraged people to send cards of encouragement. I jotted down the address, but forgot to send a card.  Today I came across the paper with Mary’s address. I thought it would be a good gift to send her a card of encouragement. I let Mary know that someone in Indiana was praying for her and her family during this difficult time.  
Ten years ago this gift would not have been possible. Well …maybe it would have been, but I wasn’t very tech savvy back then.   Many people think social media outlets are a waste of time, and maybe to some extent they are. But I look at these outlets as an opportunity. An opportunity to share the joys in my life, learn about those who are struggling, help people find jobs, reconnect with an old friends, help a friend’s baby win a picture contest  and the list goes on and on.  In my opinion, social media outlets are very positive. Take time to see what is going on in people’s life and act upon helping them. Small gifts WILL make big differences.

1 comment:

  1. Get daily suggestions and guides for earning THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS NOW

    ReplyDelete