An old man walked up a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young man was picking them up and flinging them back into the ocean. "Why do you bother?" the old man scofted. "You're not saving enough to make a difference." The young man picked up another starfish and sent it spinning back to the water. "Made a difference to that one," he said.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10- Socks

Did you ever think about how important socks are?  I love socks and typically wear them around the clock.  I don’t like to be barefoot and have come to love Old Navy footie’s. My husband is a police officer and during the winter months he spends the majority of shifts working outside responding to crashes. We live in Northwest Indiana so that means just above zero temperatures on many days.  I have heard the saying many times… “if your feet are warm your entire body is warm, but if your feet are cold your entire body is cold.” And I think this is so true. 
For Christmas my husband received a pair of 5.11 Level 2 socks from my father.  At the time they weren’t that big a of a deal, just another pair of socks.  But the first night he wore them on duty he comes home and says “These socks are awesome. They are so warm.” 
Because he only has one pair he has been washing them almost every day so has the socks clean for his next shift. Needless to say, this isn’t very cost effective. So today for my gift I bought my husband five more pairs of the 5.11 Level 2 socks.  I see them as a necessity to his job and to staying warm.
Socks may not seem that big of a deal to many of you, but if you worked outside in the bitter cold, warm feet would be very important.   

No comments:

Post a Comment